An Apple a Day Keeps the Weight Away
The old saying, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” has been around on one form or another since the mid-1800’s. That means apple’s were well known to be particularly healthy over 150 years ago. And we are still discovering new health benefits of apple’s today.
So “an apple a day…” is not just good advice, it keeps getting better all the time.
7 Ways Apples Help Your Health and Weight Loss
Here are just a few reasons, new and old, to get into the habit of eating an apple a day.
- They Slow Down Aging – There’s no stopping the aging process – at least not yet. But there are nutrients that are known to reduce the rate at which we age. Flavonoids in fruits and vegetables have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which help to slow down cell degeneration.
A recent study found that the flavonoid fisetin had the most anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of any flavonoid. Fisetin is found in apples, cucumbers, strawberries and persimmons.
- They Have Lots of Soluble Fibre – Here’s where the weight loss benefits begin. Fibre helps slow down the metabolization of the energy in food. That reduces the chance of that energy being stored as fat.Fibre also keeps your digestive system working efficiently, which also helps you manage your weight. And it reduces the risk of heart disease, diabetes and diverticulitis.
An average apple gives you about 15% of the recommended daily intake of fibre.
- They’ve Been Shown to Reduce the Risk of Asthma – Two studies of a total of over 3,000 people both concluded that apples boost overall pulmonary health. Participants who ate an apple a day, up to five apples per week, were found to have gained the most benefit for their respiratory system.
- They Keep You Hydrated – This doesn’t mean you should stop drinking water every day, but apples offer the same benefits. That’s not surprising considering that they are 86% water. This is another one that can help in losing weight. Being hydrated reduces inflammation to keep your joints in great shape, and that helps you increase your activity levels.
- They are Low in Calories – The average apple delivers just 90 calories. Low calories combined with their high fibre content, their water content and activity-boosting properties, means apples do not add significantly to your overall daily calorie intake – or weight gain.
- They are Packed with Minerals and Vitamins – Apples have been around since, well, God created man and woman. In a way, that’s too bad. If they would have been more recently discovered in Western diets, like quinoa, they too would be known as a superfood.
One average apple delivers the following percentages of the recommended daily intake of these vitamins and minerals.
- Vitamin A – 2%
- Vitamin B6 – 5%
- Vitamin C – 14%
- Iron – 2%
- Calcium – 2%
- Potassium – 6%
- Did We Say They Help You Lose Weight? In addition to all the weight loss benefits listed in the points above, apples help you lose weight in many other ways too. Let’s look at the example of eating an apple before dinner.
First, it’s water content will help fill you up so you eat less food. It’s fibre will slow down the absorption of all the calories you eat at dinner, so they don’t go straight to you-know-where. Their mineral and vitamin content give your body some of the nutrition it needs to healthily and safely lose weight.
One more big benefit of apples? They’re delicious, they come in lots of different varieties, and you can enjoy them in lots of different ways, like pies, jellies or straight off the tree. Actually, that’s three more benefits!
Eating well for weight loss is just one way of improving the results you get. Talk to the nutritional consultant at your nearest Herbal One Centre and ask about getting a weight loss meal plan developed just for you.