How Proper Sleep Improves Your Health & Wellness
What’s your day like after a sleepless night? Chances are that it’s not one of your shining moments. You feel sluggish, you can’t think straight, every action seems like a chore, and, well, you wouldn’t even want to be around you.
What about when you have a great sleep? Quite a difference, eh?!
What most people don’t appreciate is that every other system and part of your body has a bad day when you don’t get proper sleep. They all get sluggish, and moody too. And that can negatively affect your health.
5 Ways that Proper Sleep Improves Your Health & Wellness
It helps to understand how a good night’s sleep works to keep your mind and body healthy and well
- Helps You Lose Weight and Avoid Obesity – Yes, that’s correct. Poor sleep has been found to increase the likelihood of obesity in almost 90% of children and over 50% of adults. From less willpower to increased emotional eating, poor sleep can make you eat more.
- Gives You More Energy – When you sleep, your muscles repair the damage of the day and fortify themselves for the next day. Robbed of that after not getting enough sleep and they can be sore and sluggish, which makes it more difficult for you to get the exercise you need.
- Lowers Stress – The longer you are awake, the more likely your body is to produce stress hormones. Stress is linked to a number of health issues including asthma, heart disease and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Helps Your Immune System – This is one where the example of how you feel after a sleepless night might work best. What if you had to get up and fight nasties like viruses, bacteria and germs after not getting enough sleep?
- Puts You in a Better Mood – This one helps your health and wellness in so many ways. Not only do you generally feel better and happier, but you are more likely to eat right, get your exercise, avoid nasty habits like excessive drinking and smoking, and get to bed at the right time!
Sleep is just one part of your day that can affect your health, wellness and weight that you may not consider. To learn more about healthy weight management, visit your local Herbal One Centre and talk to a nutrition consultant.
Check out this post for one more way to increase your overall health and wellness: 5 Grape Seed Extract Benefits.