How to Diet Safely
We should start by saying that Herbal One recommends that you lose and manage your weight safely and effectively by eating properly and making sure you get the right nutrition.
But if you want to lose weight a little faster, you can do it and still maintain your health and nutrition.
As we’ve mentioned many times before, the ‘secret’ to any weight loss is to burn more calories of energy than you get from your diet. But your body needs a minimum number of calories every day to remain healthy. It’s why crash diets are dangerous; you need energy and if you reduce your calorie intake too much, it will negatively affect your health.
Just the Facts
On average, women need about 2,000 calories per day and men need about 2,500.
If you burn 500 more calories than you eat each day for a week, you could lose 1 to 2 pounds.
Activities That Burn 500 Calories
- 2 hours of house cleaning
- 1.5 hours of gardening
- 1 hour of Zumba
- 2 hours of belly dancing
- 1.5 hrs of playing with your children
- 1 hour and 20 minutes of snorkeling
- 6 hours of kissing
Tips to Help You Lose Weight
Clearly you’ll need a good bit of extra activity to help you burn off those extra calories. The following tips will help you cut down your extra calorie intake and make your journey a little easier.
- Eat More Vegetables – They are full of the nutrients your body needs and they help you feel full, which helps to reduce hunger pangs.
- Drink More Water – It fills you up and maintains your fluid levels.
- Switch to Healthy Snacks – Start checking nutrition labels, eat more nuts, fruit and vegetable snacks. Get rid of all the potato chips and pretzels in your home.
- Limit Serving Sizes – Eat from a plate and not from the box so you can keep track of how much you’ve eaten. Use smaller plates; they look full with less food.
- Slowdown When You Eat – When you eat too quickly, you tend to overeat because it takes your brain about 20 minutes to register that you’re full. Sit down to eat, chew your food properly, take smaller bites, pause between mouthfuls – even put down your knife and fork each time you take a bite.
- Don’t Skip Breakfast, or Any Other Meal – It only increases the chance that you will overcompensate later.
- Keep a Journal – Write down everything you eat and the estimated number of calories. You can’t cut down on unless you know how much you eat.
- Check for Emotional Eating – Use your journal to see if your eating was a reaction to a good or bad emotion or event. Try to spot that eating trigger next time.
Good luck! Remember, not only do crash diets put your health at risk, but they rarely result in sustained weight loss. The nutrition specialist at your local Herbal One Centre will help you lose weight healthily and help you keep it off too.