How To Keep Your Nervous System Healthy
The basic function of your nervous system is to carry messages travelling to and from your brain. But that very simple explanation belies its profound importance in your everyday life and why you should learn more about how to keep your nervous system healthy.
To underline that importance, your nervous system controls all of your senses, all of your voluntary and involuntary muscle movements and all of your brain functions, including thinking, reasoning, memories, and language.
How the System Works
The nervous system works by transmitting signals between the central nervous system and the peripheral nervous system, which is the network of nerve cells in the rest of your body outside your brain and spinal cord.
A wide range of specific medical conditions and ailments, including Parkinson’s disease, mental health issues, loss of consciousness, and even numbness and tingling, can result from nervous system problems.
How to Keep the System Healthy
While the health of your nervous system can be affected by influences beyond your control, like tumours and infections, the following will help contribute to the long-term health of your system.
- Adopt a healthy, balanced diet, eat throughout the day and maintain a body weight appropriate for your age, sex and body type.
- Don’t smoke or drink excessive amounts of alcohol.
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule of eight hours a night.
- Exercise your brain by doing things like handwriting and crossword puzzles.
- Get at least two and a half hours of moderate to vigorous physical activity every week, in sessions of at least 10 minutes.
- Avoid or minimize factors that can affect your nervous system, including repetitive motion activities and toxic chemical.
If you need help with your diet, Herbal One’s Grape Defense is a powerful antioxidant that’s linked to increased mental focus and attention span.
If you enjoyed this post, check out our recent article on how busy Moms can lose weight.